Orange Ricotta Cake Roll Recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 container (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons Mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua (coffee liqueur)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Orange sections, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°. Line bottom of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with parchment or waxed paper. Sift cocoa, flour and salt together twice.
- In another large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in vanilla. Fold in flour mixture (batter will be thick).
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form.
- Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Transfer to prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cheeses and sugar until blended. Stir in Kahlua, orange peel and vanilla.
- Unroll cake; spread filling over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again, without towel. Place on a platter, seam side down. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour before serving. Garnish with orange sections if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Orange Ricotta Cake Roll in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p26
Reviews for Orange Ricotta Cake Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review