Orange Rhubarb Spread Recipe
This tangy spread is easy to make and tastes especially good on hot, buttered cinnamon toast. The recipe makes enough to have on hand well beyond the growing season. —Betty Nyenhuis, Oostburg, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 20 min. + standing YIELD:40 servings
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 4 cups sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring rhubarb and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 7-8 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Drain and reserve cooking liquid. Cool rhubarb and liquid to room temperature.
- 2. Place rhubarb in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Transfer to a 4-cup measuring cup; add enough reserved cooking liquid to measure 2-1/3 cups. Return to saucepan.
- 3. Add orange juice concentrate and pectin; bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to a full rolling boil; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; skim off foam.
- 4. Pour into jars or freezer containers; cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cover and let stand overnight or until set, but not longer than 24 hours. Refrigerate or freeze. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks or freeze for up to 12 months. Yield: 5 half-pints.
1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 94 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC