Orange Rhubarb Sauce Recipe
This recipe is a fun combination of oranges and rhubarb that's sweetened with sugar and thickened with tapioca. It's shown here served over vanilla ice cream and a slice of pound cake. Pat Burnley - Lancaster, PA
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- Vanilla ice cream and/or pound cake
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar, water and tapioca; let stand for 15 minutes. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Stir in oranges; heat through. Serve with ice cream or pound cake. Yield: about 2 cups.
1/4 cup (calculated without ice cream and pound cake) equals 149 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC