I love starting my day with a slice of this fabulous sweet bread alongside eggs, sausage and orange juice. It’s full of tangy flavor and crunchy slivered almonds. —Sonya Goergen, Moorhead, Minnesota
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange peel and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Fold in rhubarb and almonds.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Orange-Rhubarb Breakfast Bread in Taste of Home April/May 2006, p31
Reviews for Orange-Rhubarb Breakfast Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review