Orange Pumpkin Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in pumpkin and orange juice concentrate. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and allspice; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and pie spice; beat until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and pumpkin.
- 4. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with a fourth of the filling. Repeat layers three times. Sprinkle with pecans; drizzle with caramel topping. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 609 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Orange Pumpkin Cake
"This also has become a tradition at our table. Fabulous flavors and so easy to make. It serves as the center piece because it's so pretty."
"Tried to make this for Thanksgiving but the cake didn't hold together very well so I cut it up and made it into a trifle. I layered the cake, filling and caramel, topping with the pecans and more caramel. It was a big hit. Even the leftover plain cake was gone by the next day. I think this cake would also be good with an orange cream cheese frosting."
"Bitter and too sweet. Using a boxed cake mix and adding pumpkin would taste a lot better than this"
"Great tasting and appearance impresses"
"Good my goodness!!! This is one of the best cakes I have ever eaten.My husband loved it and I will be making for Thanksgiving this year.Your guest will thank you !Frances Peterson"