A subtle orange flavor really brings out the pumpkin flavor in this elegant layered cake. Our holiday dinners aren't complete until pieces of this cake are passed around. —Jo Raines, Sandyville, West Virgina
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in pumpkin and orange juice concentrate. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and allspice; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and pie spice; beat until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and pumpkin.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with a fourth of the filling. Repeat layers three times. Sprinkle with pecans; drizzle with caramel topping. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Orange Pumpkin Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p132
Reviews for Orange Pumpkin Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review