Orange Poached Pears Recipe
"Drizzling a chocolate sauce over orange-flavored pears brings a formal dinner to an elegant conclusion," writes Jacquie Ogden from Dawson Creek, British Columbia. Add a strip of orange peel to each serving for a finishing touch.
- 8 whole pears
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Orange peel strips, optional
- 1. With an apple corer or sharp knife, carefully remove core from bottom of pears to within 1 in. of stem, leaving pears whole with stem. Peel the pears.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, combine the orange juice, water, brown sugar, butter and orange peel. Bring to a boil; add pears. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pears are tender, turning several times. Remove pears and set aside. Simmer cooking juices, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until thickened to a syrup consistency.
- 3. For chocolate sauce, in a small heavy saucepan over low heat, heat the chocolate, cream and butter until chocolate is melted; stir until smooth. Spoon pear syrup into dessert dishes; place a pear in each dish and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Garnish with orange peel if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 252 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Orange Poached Pears
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC