Old-fashioned divinity candy is even yummier with a hint of refreshing orange zest and bits of crunchy pistachios. Store-bought versions just can’t compare!—Lorri Reinhardt, Big Bend, Wisconsin
Recommended: 20 Recipes for Homemade Christmas Candy
- 2 egg whites
- 2-2/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Place egg whites in bowl of a stand mixer; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line two 15x10x1-in. pans with waxed paper.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 252° (hard-ball stage). Just before the temperature is reached, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly add hot sugar mixture in a thin stream over egg whites, beating constantly and scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add orange peel and vanilla. Beat until candy holds its shape, about 5-6 minutes. (Do not overmix or candy will get stiff and crumbly.) Immediately fold in pistachios.
- Quickly drop mixture by tablespoonfuls onto prepared pans. Let stand at room temperature until dry to the touch. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 4 dozen. (1-1/3 pounds).
Originally published as Orange-Pistachio Divinity in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews for Orange-Pistachio Divinity
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review