I had never tried pistachios until I visited a friend who served me these cookies. I was in love! I made the recipe my own, and now my family can't get enough of them. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Recommended: 35 Cookie Recipes You Need in Your Collection
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup pistachios, toasted and finely chopped
- 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Additional pistachios, toasted and finely chopped, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, orange peel and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and cornstarch; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Roughly shape each portion into a 7-in. roll along the long end of a 14x8-in. sheet of waxed paper. Tightly roll waxed paper over dough, using the waxed paper to mold the dough into a smooth roll. Securely wrap waxed paper-covered roll in plastic wrap; freeze 30 minutes or until firm, or refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle pistachios on a rimmed baking sheet. Unwrap and roll each roll of dough in pistachios. Cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1/2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 6-8 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Cool slightly on pan. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, orange juice and butter until smooth. Spread over cookies. If desired, sprinkle with additional pistachios. Let stand until set. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Orange-Pistachio Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2015, p85
Reviews for Orange Pistachio Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review