Orange Pineapple Torte Recipe
"Special family dinners wouldn't be complete without this beautiful, impressive cake," remarks Karen Mellinger Baker of Dover, Ohio. "It's surprisingly rich-tasting and not too sweet."
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 packages (1 ounce each) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix, divided
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold fat-free milk
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained, divided
- Fresh mint, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, one package of pudding mix, egg whites, water, oil and baking soda; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, whisk milk and remaining pudding mix for 2 minutes; let stand for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Fold in whipped topping. In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups pudding mixture with pineapple and half of the oranges.
- 4. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers; top with a third of pineapple mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining pudding mixture. Store in the refrigerator. Garnish with remaining oranges and mint if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving equals 335 calories, 9 g fat (0 saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 516 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fruit, 2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC