- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 packages (1 ounce each) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix, divided
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold fat-free milk
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained, divided
- Fresh mint, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, one package of pudding mix, egg whites, water, oil and baking soda; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, whisk milk and remaining pudding mix for 2 minutes; let stand for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Fold in whipped topping. In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups pudding mixture with pineapple and half of the oranges.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers; top with a third of pineapple mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining pudding mixture. Store in the refrigerator. Garnish with remaining oranges and mint if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Orange Pineapple Torte
Sort By :
"I used flake coconut on the top before the orange garnish"
"I have made this for years and it is a family favorite requested for birthdays. We just had it for grandma's birthday and it was a refreshing change from all the heavy and super sweet Christmas goodies we have been eating. A great recipe! The only changes I make are that I use the liquid in the oranges instead of water and put 1/2 the oranges in the batter instead of on top. Yummy!"
"I gave this 3 stars because the measurements are not enough. I used an 8 inch pan, and even that does not look thick enought to cut each cake horizontally. Although the ingredients are easy enough, I would recommend doubling the ingredients for a 9 inch pan."
"I have been making this recipe for a few years now and it is he most requested! Even won me 1st place at a baking contest at work. Try it once and you'll fall in love with it."