These muffins feature pears, which are a great source of vitamin C, and seasonal spices such as cinnamon and allspice. Grated orange peel rounds out the holiday touch in these feel-good treats from Kay Tanberg of Duluth, Minnesota.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, whisk the milk, oil, egg, orange peel and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pears, then egg whites.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Spiced Pear Muffins in Light & Tasty December/January 2008, p54
Reviews for Orange-Pear Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review