Orange Pan Rolls
A HINT of orange in the dough makes these rolls refreshingly different. Similar in texture to a biscuit, they bake to a beautiful golden brown. I make them anytime I want something warm from the oven to accompany a meal.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and nutmeg; set aside. In a medium
- bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt. Add
- orange peel; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse
- crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Divide dough into fourths. With floured hands, roll each piece of
- dough into a ball; dip in butter, then in sugar mixture. Evenly
- space in a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 450° for
- 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 rolls.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 157 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 184 mg sodium,