Orange Oatmeal Raisin Bread Recipe
For a delicious breakfast, spread slices of this hearty bread with marmalade. The orange juice, molasses and oats are a palate-pleasing combination.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1. In a large bowl pour 2 cups boiling water over oats and raisins. Add the orange juice, molasses, vegetable oil, and salt. Cool to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oat mixture and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each into a round or oval loaf. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. With a sharp knife, make three to five shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Beat egg and milk; lightly brush over loaves.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (10 slices each).
1 slice: 160 calories, 3g fat (0g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Orange Oatmeal Raisin Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC