When my siblings and I were young, my mom created this recipe in hopes that we would eat more vegetables. It worked! The citrus sauce went so well with the tender sweet potatoes that the dish quickly became a family favorite and is now a standard at our holiday table. —Kathleen Wright Richmond, Kentucky
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in orange juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add butter and orange peel; stir until butter is melted.
- Drain sweet potatoes; place in a serving dish. Add orange juice mixture and gently stir to coat. Sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Orange-Nut Sweet Potatoes in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p31
Reviews for Orange-Nut Sweet Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review