Orange Nut Bread
"This bread is delicious for breakfast or with a salad," notes Helen Luksa of Las Vegas, Nevada. "A friend shared the recipe years ago, and it has withstood the test of time."
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and
- baking soda. Stir in nuts and orange peel. In a small bowl, beat the
- eggs, milk, orange juice and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just
- until moistened.
- Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for
- 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire
- rack to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 223 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 297 mg sodium,