Orange Nut Bread & Cream Cheese Spread Recipe
"This bright sweet bread was my mother's favorite, especially paired with coffee or tea." Karen Sue Garback-Pristera Albany, New York
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- 2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Fold in walnuts.
- 3. Transfer to three greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, orange juice, confectioners' sugar and orange peel until well blended. Chill until serving. Serve with bread. Yield: 3 mini loaves (6 slices each) and 1 cup spread.
1 slice with 2 teaspoons spread equals 213 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 175 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC