Orange Nut Bread & Cream Cheese Spread Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- 2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Fold in walnuts.
- 3. Transfer to three greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, orange juice, confectioners' sugar and orange peel until well blended. Chill until serving. Serve with bread. Yield: 3 mini loaves (6 slices each) and 1 cup spread.
1 slice: 213 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Orange Nut Bread & Cream Cheese Spread
"I love this recipe and have made it often, always to rave reviews!"
"Used the exact ingredients but used the quick bread method (mix dry ingredients, melted butter and mixed w/ rest of liquid ingredients, stirred liquid into dry) and made into muffins. Delicious and the orange cream cheese really complimented the muffins! Next time though, I think I'll add an extra tablespoon of confectioner's sugar to the cream cheese."
"Delicious. I used the juice and pulp from two oranges, and 1/4 tsp of orange peel in place of the extract. Then I baked it all in a 9x5 pan for 1 hour. Whole family loved it and I will definitely be making it again!"
"Made muffins with this recipe. Grandkids really like it. Didn't make the cream cheese spread. Very easy to make."
"I really liked this bread but wasn't crazy about the cream cheese spread. I liked it best by itself. I didn't have orange extract so I used almond extract instead. I also used fresh squeezed orange juice, pulp included. It turned out yummy."
"I made this recipe for my family, they loved it, I did use orange peel instead of the orange extract and it came out great. Will definately make it again"
"Oh my goodness...this is such a good recipe! I changed nothing except I made muffins out of them (didn't have the proper size loaf pans and muffins are easier to grab on the way out the door to work - I baked for 25 minutes and got 6 large muffins) and used pecans instead of walnuts due to personal preference. I wanted to make the cream cheese but found that my husband had been dipping into the package I bought for recipes, so I couldn't. I'll definitely try it next time, but even without the spread it was so moist and delicious! I imagine these will be gone soon - I'll just have to double next time!"
"I made these for my Grandson for breakfast this morning in my Mini Muffin tin and they came out great just as they were. I baked them for 15 minutes. I did not make the cream cheese spread to go on top and they were good without it. He even took a couple to school for recess."
"A keeper. I did not have any orange extract in the house so I used the left over orange peel instead. It worked great, also used a normal bread pan intead 3 little ones.It wasDELICIOUS."
"Can I make this in a different largersizepan instead of 3 small loaves?"
"What can I say?DELICIOUS--DELICIOUS"
"I made this for a brunch, substituted 1/2 cup of wheat flour for that much of the all-purpose. Turned out beautifully, and the taste w/ the orange extract and juice.. oh my.. DELICIOUS!"