Orange Natilla Custard Pie Recipe
After tasting natilla for the first time at a Cuban restaurant in Key West, I knew I had to turn that traditional custard into a pie. For a festive garnish, add curls of orange peel.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 orange peel strip
- 1 lemon peel strip
- 1 whole star anise
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Orange peel curls, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, orange peel, lemon peel and star anise until bubbles form around sides of pan, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Cool. Cover and steep overnight in the refrigerator.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 3. Roll out pastry to 1/8-in. thickness; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edge.
- 4. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights. Bake at 450° for 12 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 5. Strain milk mixture, discarding peels and star anise. In a blender, combine the eggs, condensed milk, strained milk, sugar, orange juice, cinnamon and vanilla; cover and process until smooth. Pour into crust.
- 6. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water; brush over pastry edge. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until center is almost set. (Pie surface will still jiggle. Custard will set upon cooling.) Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- 7. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Sprinkle with cinnamon just before serving. Garnish with orange peel curls if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Orange Natilla Custard Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC