Orange Mocha Tart Recipe
There's just something decadent about combining orange and chocolate into a stunning dessert. This is a show-stopper every time I serve it.—Shirley Riley, Water Valley, Mississippi
- 3 medium navel oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Additional sugar, optional
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons orange liqueur
- 1. For candied peel, score oranges with a sharp knife, cutting peel into four wedge-shaped sections. Loosen peel with a spoon and remove; save fruit for another use.
- 2. Place peel in a small heavy saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain. Cool for 5 minutes. Carefully scrape off excess pulp from peel. Cut the peel into 1/4-in. strips.
- 3. In another saucepan, combine sugar and water; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add orange peel strips; boil gently for 10-12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer strips to wire racks; let stand for 3 hours or until dry. Roll strips in additional sugar if desired.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add egg yolk. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until a ball forms.
- 5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into a 13-in. circle. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- 6. In a small saucepan, melt chocolates and butter over medium heat. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour and espresso powder. Whisk in eggs and chocolate mixture until blended. Add the liqueur, orange peel and salt; pour filling into prepared shell.
- 7. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 8. For ganache, place chocolates and espresso powder in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Pour over tart; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or until set.
- 9. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and liqueur; beat until stiff peaks form. Serve with tart and candied peel. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 498 calories, 33g fat (20g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Orange Mocha Tart
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC