- medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2
- minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1 cup hot
- filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the
- heat; stir in the lime juice, orange peel and butter. Pour hot
- filling into pie crust.
- For the meringue, beat egg whites in a bowl until foamy. add cream of
- tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat
- in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire
- rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 363 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 285 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.