Orange-Marmalade Linzer Tarts Recipe
These little cutout tarts are almost too pretty to eat! The golden sandwich cookies dusted with confectioners’ sugar reveal a colorful, citrusy center of orange marmalade.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:30 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a food processor, combine 1/2 cup flour and almonds; cover and pulse until almonds are finely ground. Add baking powder, salt and remaining flour; cover and process just until combined.
- 2. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, extract and lemon peel. Gradually add almond mixture to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 3. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. On a floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Using a floured 1-in. round cookie cutter, cut out the centers of half the cookies. Place solid and cutout cookies 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 5. Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 6. Spread 1 teaspoon marmalade on bottoms of solid cookies. Sprinkle cutout cookies with confectioners' sugar; place on top of marmalade. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling out.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC