Orange Lettuce Salad
A flavorful homemade dressing sparks fresh greens that are tossed with colorful oranges and green onions and sprinkled with toasted slivered almonds.—Joyce Key, Snellville, Georgia
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 8 cups torn Bibb lettuce or salad greens of your choice
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted, optional
- In a salad bowl, toss the lettuce, onions and oranges; set aside. In
- a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar,
- parsley, salt if desired, pepper and hot pepper sauce; shake well.
- Drizzle desired amount over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with
- almonds if desired. Refrigerate any remaining dressing. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with artificial sweetener equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar and without salt and almonds) equals 104 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.