This juice is a favorite at our place. I'll often double the batch and send a jar next door to my mother-in-law! I was looking for a way to sweeten lemonade without using more sugar when I came up with the recipe. —Wendy Masters, Grand Valley, Ontario
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups lemon juice (about 8 lemons)
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice (about 5 oranges)
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and water. Cook over medium heat
- until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- Add juices and peel to cooled sugar syrup. Cover and let stand at
- room temperature 1 hour. Strain syrup; cover and refrigerate.
- To serve, fill glasses or pitcher with equal amounts of fruit syrup
- and water. Add ice and serve. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 136 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.