A great side dish, Orange-Kissed Beets come from Bonnie Baumgardner of Sylva, North Carolina. "This is an original recipe I developed a few years ago," Bonnie explains. "It's one of my husband Ralph's favorites."
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) sliced beets, drained
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- Strips of orange peel
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir orange juice, brown
- sugar, butter, cornstarch, ginger, salt and pepper until thick. Add
- the beets and raisins; heat through. Garnish with orange peel.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 187 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 439 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.