- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon orange oil
- 5 drops each red and yellow food coloring
- Additional sugar
- Butter a 9-in. square pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the pectin, baking soda and water (mixture will be foamy). In another saucepan, combine sugar and corn syrup. Bring both mixtures to a boil. Cook until foam on pectin mixture thins slightly and sugar mixture comes to a full rolling boil, about 4 minutes. Gradually add pectin mixture to boiling sugar mixture, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in orange oil and food coloring. Immediately pour into prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature for 3 hours or until set.
- Sprinkle waxed paper with sugar; invert pan onto sugar. With a knife dipped in warm water, cut candy into 1-in. squares; roll in additional sugar. Place on a wire rack. Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature overnight. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 81 pieces.
Reviews for Orange Jelly Candies
"Just tried this with cinnamon and they turned out perfectly!! Thanks for the great recipe! :D"
"I made these jellies for the first time, and they brought me right back to the memories of similar jellied candies I had when I was a child. I'll be making another batch tomorrow, but with cherry oil instead. WONDERFUL recipe!"
"The candy did not set up at all. I put it back in the pan after about six hours and cooked it some more but it came out too hard and gummy."
"I have been making candy for awhile and this sounded so good. I tried it the way you said, never set up enough to do anything with it. So I tried doing it a little different with the same results. Maybe you have something written down wrong in the reciepe. Maybe to much pectin. Maybe you left out a step. Please let me know as the flavor is good and would like to make this recipe for Christmas gifts."