Orange Hot Cross Buns Recipe
For a traditional Easter recipe with a twist, try these yummy, sweet yeast buns. Grated orange peel gives them a mild citrus flavor. You’ll end up making them year round.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/4 cups warm orange juice (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 to 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm orange juice. Add the butter, sugar, eggs, orange peel, salt, cinnamon, raisins, remaining orange juice and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 22 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Using a sharp knife, cut a cross on the top of each ball. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- 5. In a small heavy-duty resealable plastic bag, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. Cut a small hole in a corner of bag; pipe a cross on each bun. Yield: 22 buns.
1 serving (1 each) equals 237 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC