- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm orange juice (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 to 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm orange juice. Add the butter, sugar, eggs, orange peel, salt, cinnamon, raisins, remaining orange juice and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 22 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Using a sharp knife, cut a cross on the top of each ball. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- In a small heavy-duty resealable plastic bag, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. Cut a small hole in a corner of bag; pipe a cross on each bun. Yield: 22 buns.
Reviews for Orange Hot Cross Buns
"I thought the orange in this recipe was such a nice addition for hot cross buns! easy and made a ton of buns! But they don't make you feel like a ton! Very light and refreshing."
"The perfect Hot Cross buns for Good Friday! I make them every year now for my family. The orange zing makes them exceptional."
"I made up a batch of these buns yesterday & they are delicious. I've always loved Hot Cross buns & the addition of orange flavoring made these especially good. I'll be making these often. I didn't need quite as much flour as the recipe called for but that may have been my flour or the area I live."
"These were easier than I expected. My friends were really impressed when I served them at supper. I would definately make them again!"