- 3-3/4 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup ground hazelnuts or walnuts
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, potato flakes, sugar, yeast, orange peel and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk, butter, sour cream and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until blended. Beat in eggs until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine confectioners' sugar and butter in a bowl. Stir in hazelnuts. For glaze, in a saucepan, bring sugar, orange juice and butter to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream; set aside.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly flour surface. With a long side facing you, roll into a 22-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread filling over bottom half of dough. Fold dough over filling; seal edges. Cut into 22 strips, 1 in. each. Twist each strip 4-5 times. Shape strips into a circle and pinch ends to seal. Place in greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes. Bake 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Immediately drizzle with glaze. Yield: 22 rolls.
Originally published as Orange-Hazelnut Breakfast Twists in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2003, p18
Reviews for Orange-Hazelnut Breakfast Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review