- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 drop red food coloring
- Additional sugar, optional
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a large heavy saucepan with the remaining butter; add sugar and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 9 minutes. Cook over medium-high heat until a candy thermometer reads 280° (soft-crack stage), stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, combine the water, pectin and baking soda (mixture will foam slightly). Cook and stir over high heat until mixture boils, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- When corn syrup mixture reaches 280° (soft-crack stage), remove from the heat. Return pectin mixture to medium-high heat; cook until mixture begins to simmer. Carefully and slowly ladle corn syrup mixture in a very thin stream into pectin mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the extract, peel and food coloring. Transfer to prepared pan. Let stand until firm, about 2 hours. Cut into squares. Roll in additional sugar if desired. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Reviews for Orange Gumdrops
Sort By :
These are very tasty. However, I'm a novice at candy making. I had my mom help. Otherwise, there is a lot going on at once for one person in my opinion. For example, the one step calls for ladling in one mix while constantly stirring the mix you're adding it to. It also took me longer than the recipe stated.
Fruity is a nice change away from chocolate for the holidays! Mine turned out a little gooey, so I'm going to practice it again, this time I'll make two batches. The other I'm going to try lemon zest and raspberry flavoring since I have some left on hand. Can't wait to try it again!
More Recipe Collections
- Candy Recipes >
- Christmas Candy >
- Christmas Candy >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Candy >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Gift Recipes >
- Halloween Candy >
- Halloween Desserts >