- When corn syrup mixture reaches 280° (soft-crack stage), remove
- from the heat. Return pectin mixture to medium-high heat; cook until
- mixture begins to simmer. Carefully and slowly ladle corn syrup
- mixture in a very thin stream into pectin mixture, stirring
- constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the extract, peel and food coloring.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Let stand until firm, about 2 hours. Cut
- into squares. Roll in additional sugar if desired. Yield: about 6
Editor’s Note: We recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test. Both the corn syrup mixture and pectin mixtures are very hot. Use caution when pouring the corn syrup mixture into the pectin mixture to avoid splatters.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 30 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 16 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.