- 6 eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 unpeeled orange, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar and beat until thick and lemon-colored. Blend in orange juice and peel. Sift together flour and salt; add to batter. Beat until smooth. In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. While beating, add the remaining sugar, 1 tablespoons at a time. Beat until stiff. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the batter; then fold in remaining whites. Spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan, smoothing top. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until tester inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. Invert pan over a narrow-neck bottle to cool.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, combine water, chopped orange and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook until very thick and almost all the water has evaporated. Remove from the heat and blend in confectioners' sugar and butter. Run a knife between the pan and cake. Turn out onto a platter. Spread warm glaze over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Orange-Glazed Sponge Cake in Country Extra September 1991, p49
Reviews for Orange-Glazed Sponge Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 11, 2010
"Love, love, love this cake! I have made it dozens of times and never had a failure."