A glaze of brown sugar, orange peel, whiskey and spices make this holiday ham memorable. If you like, replace the liquor with apple cider. —Laura McDowell, Lake Villa, Illinois
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 boneless fully cooked ham (4 to 6 pounds)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup whiskey or apple cider
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Cover and bake at
- 325° for 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, whiskey, orange peel,
- allspice and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Brush some of the sauce over ham. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes longer
- or until a meat thermometer reads 140°, brushing twice with
- sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 6 ounces cooked ham equals 199 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 1,571 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 28 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer