Orange-Glazed Chicken with Rice Recipe
- 1/2 cup currant jelly
- 1/2 cup cold water, divided
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a saucepan, combine jelly, 1/4 cup water and concentrate. Cook and stir on low until jelly is melted. Combine cornstarch and remaining water; gradually stir into jelly mixture along with mustard and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook about 2 minutes more; remove from heat and set aside. Combine flour and salt; dredge chicken. In a skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce over chicken. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Baste with sauce. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes longer or until juices run clear. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add water; bring to a boil. Stir in rice, concentrate and salt. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand 5-7 minutes or until water is absorbed. Serve chicken over rice. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 592 calories, 25 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 441 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 36 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.