- 1/2 cup currant jelly
- 1/2 cup cold water, divided
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, combine jelly, 1/4 cup water and concentrate. Cook and stir on low until jelly is melted. Combine cornstarch and remaining water; gradually stir into jelly mixture along with mustard and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook about 2 minutes more; remove from heat and set aside. Combine flour and salt; dredge chicken. In a skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce over chicken. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Baste with sauce. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes longer or until juices run clear. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add water; bring to a boil. Stir in rice, concentrate and salt. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand 5-7 minutes or until water is absorbed. Serve chicken over rice. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Orange-Glazed Chicken with Rice in Country December/January 1996, p51
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Orange-Glazed Chicken with Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 7, 2010
"this is so easy and tastes great! it's a keeper."