"I'm a 78-year-old who does my own cooking," writes Robert Wahlfeldt. The Danville, Illinois cook shares this colorful microwave side dish ideal for casual meals. It gets its zest from a tart yet sweet citrus glaze.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 cups julienned fresh carrots
- 1/3 cup orange juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine carrots and 1/4 cup
- orange juice. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until
- carrots are crisp-tender.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and remaining orange juice until
- smooth; stir into carrots. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-3
- minutes or until sauce has come to a boil and is thickened, stirring
- twice. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 91 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 336 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.