Orange-Glazed Acorn Squash Recipe
This savory side dish gets its lovely flavor from orange juice, orange zest and nutmeg. The smooth syrupy sauce is a great complement to the squash. I serve this on Christmas Eve, and everyone loves it! -Joyce Moynihan Lakeville, Minnesota
- 4 small acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until syrupy, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Drain water from baking pan; turn squash cut side up. Pour about 2 tablespoons orange glaze into each squash half. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until squash is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 247 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC