Orange Ginger Scones Recipe
A sprinkling of sugar tops off these tender treats with a touch of sweetness. I like to serve them hot with butter and jam.—Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, ginger, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk sour cream and egg; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in orange peel.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Divide dough in half. Pat each portion into a 7-in. circle; cut each into six wedges.
- 3. Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 196 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC