Orange-Ginger Chicken and Veggies Recipe
- 1 medium navel orange
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup unsalted cashews
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. Grate orange peel, reserving 1-1/2 teaspoons. Peel and section orange; set orange sections aside. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and ginger. Stir in the broth, soy sauce, chili sauce, hot pepper sauce and reserved grated orange peel until blended; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the broccoli, peppers and carrot; stir-fry for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir broth mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cashews and reserved orange sections. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups stir-fry mixture with 3/4 cup rice) equals 467 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 853 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 34 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.