Orange-Ginger Chicken and Veggies Recipe
- 1 medium navel orange
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup unsalted cashews
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. Grate orange peel, reserving 1-1/2 teaspoons. Peel and section orange; set orange sections aside. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and ginger. Stir in the broth, soy sauce, chili sauce, hot pepper sauce and reserved grated orange peel until blended; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the broccoli, peppers and carrot; stir-fry for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir broth mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cashews and reserved orange sections. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 467 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 853mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 4g fiber), 34g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 0 fat.
Reviews for Orange-Ginger Chicken and Veggies
"Delicious although I did not use the orange and the chili sauce. I omitted the orange...just didn't appeal to me and I used Thai Chili Paste instead of the chili sauce...and use 6 ounces of pork tenderloin instead of the chicken...it was delicious."
"It was Excellent!I am making it for the third time."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.