Orange French Toast
A few years ago, at the age of 50, I decided to teach myself to cook. I made this French toast that my mother would serve with grilled ham and sweet warm maple syrup. I was so pleased with the results, I've been cooking ever since!
2-4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices day-old bread
- In a bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, sugar, orange peel, baking soda,
- cinnamon and salt. Soak bread for 2 minutes per side. Cook on a
- greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides and cooked
- through. Yield: 2-4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 179 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 450 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.