Orange Dream Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 12 egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 6 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and 3/4 cup sugar together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, salt and almond and vanilla extracts to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon half of batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. To the remaining batter, stir in the orange peel, orange extract and food colorings if desired. Gently spoon orange batter over white batter. Cut through both layers with a knife to swirl the orange and remove air pockets.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Orange Dream Angel Food Cake(5)
Sort By :
I made this for Easter, but I beat 6 of the egg yolks and added the same amount of egg whites (as used in the original recipe.) looks like a flower
This sounds fabulous...have not and will not make...I don't raise chickens and price of eggs is out of sight. I will adapt to a mix however..
This cake is wonderful! Since it's just my husband and me, I cut the recipe in half and made it in a foil-lined 9x5-inch loaf pan. The cake was so easy to prepare, and baked up moist and delicious. I will definitely be making this again!
OMG- delicious! My mom made this for Easter and the recipe is a keeper. It doesn't need any topping or sauce. It rose up beautifully, the color was nice with the top slightly carmelized, and the flavor was to die for. Can't wait to make it at my house!
More Recipe Collections
- Angel Food Cake >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >