- 12 large egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 6 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and 3/4 cup sugar together twice; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar, salt and almond and vanilla extracts to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon half of batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. To the remaining batter, stir in the orange peel, orange extract and, if desired, food colorings. Gently spoon orange batter over white batter. Cut through both layers with a knife to swirl the orange and remove air pockets.
- Bake on the lowest oven rack at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Orange Dream Angel Food Cake
"I made this for Easter, but I beat 6 of the egg yolks and added the same amount of egg whites (as used in the original recipe.) looks like a flower"
"This sounds fabulous...have not and will not make...I don't raise chickens and price of eggs is out of sight. I will adapt to a mix however.."
"OMG- delicious! My mom made this for Easter and the recipe is a keeper. It doesn't need any topping or sauce. It rose up beautifully, the color was nice with the top slightly carmelized, and the flavor was to die for. Can't wait to make it at my house!"