Orange Dream Angel Food Cake Recipe
A basic angel food cake becomes a heavenly indulgence thanks to a hint of orange flavor swirled into every bite. The orange color makes slices of the cake look so pretty when arranged on individual dessert plates.—Lauren Osborne, Holtwood, Pennsylvania
- 12 egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 6 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and 3/4 cup sugar together twice; set aside.
- 2. Add the cream of tartar, salt and almond and vanilla extracts to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 3. Gently spoon half of batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. To the remaining batter, stir in the orange peel, orange extract and food colorings if desired. Gently spoon orange batter over white batter. Cut through both layers with a knife to swirl the orange and remove air pockets.
- 4. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 5. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 130 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC