Orange Date Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 pound chopped dates
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 2 teaspoons orange peel. Combine flour and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in dates and pecans.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan; spread evenly. Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, remaining sugar and orange peel, until blended; drizzle over warm cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 491 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 233 mg sodium, 79 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Orange Date Pound Cake
"This cake is moist and tasty. The orange glaze adds a lot to the cake."
"Oh, man, is this a good cake! Great texture and flavor. I added 1/2 C. orange juice to the batter to step up the orange flavor, and it turned out great. This cake was a hit after church at coffee hour!"