Orange Date Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 pound chopped dates
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 2 teaspoons orange peel. Combine flour and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in dates and pecans.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan; spread evenly. Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, remaining sugar and orange peel, until blended; drizzle over warm cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Orange Date Pound Cake in Country Woman September/October 2000, p33
Reviews for Orange Date Pound Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 4, 2009
Oh, man, is this a good cake! Great texture and flavor. I added 1/2 C. orange juice to the batter to step up the orange flavor, and it turned out great. This cake was a hit after church at coffee hour!