Orange-Date Nut Cake Recipe
One of my fondest memories as a child was the scent of this cake cooling on my mom’s dining room table. For those who like dates, nuts and oranges, it is heavenly. Teresa Switzer, Fayetteville, Georgia
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Toss dates with 1/4 cup flour; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in orange peel. Combine the baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in dates and nuts.
- 2. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. For glaze, combine orange juice and confectioners' sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes.
- 4. Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Poke holes in cake top. Drizzle glaze over top and sides of cake; cool completely before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 469 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Orange-Date Nut Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC