Pecans are very plentiful in the South, and this is one of my favorite ways to use them. No other date nut bread I've tried is anywhere near as moist and flavorful as this one. I especially like to bake it for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Recommended: 31 Easy Quick Bread Recipes
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 small unpeeled orange, cut into pieces and seeded
- 1 cup pitted chopped dates
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- For bread, place eggs, butter, sugar, orange pieces and dates in blender or food processor. Cover and process with on/off motions until finely chopped. Remove to a large bowl.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt; add to orange mixture and mix until well-combined. Stir in pecans. Pour batter into greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. If bread begins to darken, cover with foil during last few minutes of baking.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, heat orange juice and sugar until sugar has dissolved. When bread comes out of the oven, poke holes with a toothpick and slowly pour the sauce over top. Let stand for 15 minutes before removing from pan. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Orange Date Nut Bread in Country December/January 1991, p51
Reviews for Orange Date Nut Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2010
"Am I missing something here? where is the liquid? the 2T butter didn't do it. I had to look at another receipe & add 1/2C OJ to this."