Orange Date Cupcakes Recipe
The perfect pairing of oranges and dates is made even better with this silky smooth cream cheese frosting. For an added touch, decorate each cupcake with a jellied orange slice. —Lynn Hollingsworth, Ada, Oklahoma
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in dates and orange peel.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until smooth. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost cupcakes. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 cupcake equals 233 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 151 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC