If you're looking to serve a lighter, more nutritious dessert, you'll appreciate this recipe. It's an appealing old-fashioned dessert that's full-flavored.
36 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a saucepan, combine dates, sugar, oil and juice. Cook for 5
- minutes to soften dates. Cool. Add egg; mix well. Combine all
- remaining ingredients and stir into date mixture.
- Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for
- 25-30 minutes. Cool before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat; also 56 calories, 12 mg sodium, 8 mg cholesterol, 6 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm protein, 3 gm fat.