Orange-Cumin Focaccia Recipe
My family created this southwest inspired bread to go with a themed dinner. The savory focaccia is so versatile—it goes well with chili, barbecued meats, smoked turkey, chipotle glazed ham, and many more hearty entrees.—
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 cup warm orange juice (110° to 115°)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the orange juice, 3 tablespoons oil, orange peel and remaining water. Combine 2 cups bread flour, whole wheat flour, cumin, pepper and salt; add to the yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in 3/4 cup bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn out on a floured surface; knead in the rest of bread flour until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten each into a disk. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Grease two baking sheets; sprinkle with whole wheat flour. Shape each portion into a 10-in. circle. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes. With fingertips, make several dimples over top of each dough. Brush with remaining oil.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (8 wedges each).
1 wedge equals 142 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC