- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 cup warm orange juice (110° to 115°)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the orange juice, 3 tablespoons oil, orange peel and remaining water. Combine 2 cups bread flour, whole wheat flour, cumin, pepper and salt; add to the yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in 3/4 cup bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn out on a floured surface; knead in the rest of bread flour until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten each into a disk. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Grease two baking sheets; sprinkle with whole wheat flour. Shape each portion into a 10-in. circle. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes. With fingertips, make several dimples over top of each dough. Brush with remaining oil.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (8 wedges each).
Originally published as Orange-Cumin Focaccia in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p49
Reviews for Orange-Cumin Focaccia
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review