"This salad has been a family favorite for as long as I can remember," Betty Tobias writes from Nashua, New Hampshire. "It's prettiest when it's served in a glass bowl, with orange and cucumber slices lining the sides. Often, I'll double the dressing recipe so I have some on hand for the next time I make it."
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 4 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup seasoned salad croutons
- Place orange and cucumber slices around the bottom sides of a straight-sided glass salad bowl. Cut any remaining orange and cucumber slices in half. Place in another bowl. Add the lettuce and onion.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the orange juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and oil; shake well. Pour over lettuce mixture and toss gently to coat; carefully spoon into salad bowl. Sprinkle with croutons. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Orange Cucumber Tossed Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p9
Reviews for Orange Cucumber Tossed Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review